Sunday, July 20, 2008

Goodbye Dimitar...


Oh well, forgetting the current sniping between Daniel Levy and Sir Fergie, the press release on Friday night was a real shock, with the key piece of information being that Dimitar and Robbie both wish to ply their trade in a red shirt next season...

I think most Spurs fans were at a stage where Berbatov leaving was almost a given, but the fact that Keano, who captained the team for most of last season, also wants to go was a real heartbreaker. On top of that, Levy suggests that they are having a detrimental effect on the squad. In this case the situation must be sorted post haste. Either the deals are arranged for the maximum fees and they leave or they are told that there will be no sale and they better get back to training.

Seeing as the second case never really seems to occur, at least not in the Premiership( Ronaldo, Barry?), all we can hope for is a swift conclusion and some seriously talented replacements. I think it is unlikely that Tottenham will be able to play such a talented strike pairing for quite a while yet. We can also hope that Barca or Real come in with an offer high enough that Levy can tell Fergie where to go...

I still have a feeling that next season will not be a complete write off. There were a number of games without DB last season that showed we can play without him and if we really are to play a 4-5-1 with some an offensive midfield then all may not be lost. If Darren Bent can get 18 goals in a season with the Charlton team behind him he should be able to get 20 for us. I always thought that we only signed him last season as a replacement for Berbatov when he left anyway, as well as to annoy West Ham. Obviously he is not half the player in terms of talent but he can score goals and he really wanted to come to WHL so I hope he gets something of a chance this season along with Peckhart.

I am also a little disappointed about the four players linked with Sunderland. Chimbonda is on the way out but I have to say I liked him at Spurs. Though people talk about the Final when he stormed off, I think this showed how much he always wants to play. The match I always remember is the 2-1 Chelsea win in November 2006 when he appeared to sustain a serious injury but stayed on and played very well to help seal the win (and apparently help JT get sent off). I don't think anybody can say what Kaboul should be doing but I think he has burnt his bridges with Ramos. I definitely think we need to keep Steeeeeeeed and I would also like to keep Teemu too, but £23m is a lot of moolah, thank you Messrs Quinn and Keane.

Anyway we will see what this week holds and hope we can beat a few more lower division Spanish teams along the way.

No comments: